Transcribed from: The Tuskegee News, Tuskegee, Alabama, 22 October, 1953; vol. 89, no. 29, p.1, col. 1. Some spelling errors and typographical errors have been corrected.  Transcribed by Glenn Drummond.  Used with permission of The Tuskegee News.



VIEWS AND INTERVIEWS

by Hall Fisher


Editor’s Note: Until the present help situation improves considerably, readers of this column can expect the current series of guest columnists to continue.  This week’s columnist is Dr. J.M. Glenn, whose most interesting writings customarily appear as separate articles.


 By Dr. J.M. Glenn -


On a large Cram’s map of Alabama here at hand, and very near the Russell County line, appears the name of “Borom,” a former community known as “Boromville.”  It was named for Rev. Ben Borom, a Methodist preacher who lived there and is buried there.

For many years that community and the post office there were known as “Fort Bainbridge,” one of the three Forts in Macon County, all with considerable history attached to them.  Nearby, just to the Southwest, was the junction of the old Three-Notch Road of 1834, leading from Pensacola and going toward Fort Mitchell in Russell County, and the Old Federal Road of 1804-11, that came by Warrior Stand and Creek Stand.  The former village is now gone, but its connection with Macon County history explains its being mentioned here in a series of sketches for the Macon County Historical Association.

This writer as a very small boy was first in Boromville in 1879, or 74 years ago.  As one reaches the site, coming from Hurtsboro, about half a dozen miles southward, on the right is a dilapidated building, the former home of a one-armed Confederate veteran and uncle of this writer, D.V. Glenn.  Next, on the right also, is the also dilapidated former George Williams home, and back of it is a small private Borom-Williams cemetery.  There, on the left, were two stores, one owned by Mr. Gentery and the other by Charles E. Borom and D.V. Glenn.  Then, on the right, was the road leading to Dr. Wilcoxon’s saw-and-grist mill, under a hill.  It was a small stream and there were some old vats once used for tanning leather, but not seen now in Alabama.

 Just beyond that road, on the right, was the home of Dr. Wilcoxin, a physician, and his monument at Creek Stand shows that he was a Royal Aren Mason.  Later, on the left, there was built another home built by Edward Wilcoxon, his son, and the latter has a son living in Tuskegee.  Further, on the left, was a large two-story home owned by Rev. Ben Borom and his wife, the writer’s aunt.  Across from it stood formerly a nice home built by Sidney A. Borom, one of their sons, but both houses are gone now.  A short distance beyond, on the left side of the dirt road still stands the shell of the two-story Key-Mitchell home on the site of old Fort Bainbridge.

Further along on the Old Federal Road leading to Fort Mitchell was the old McLeod store and the old Frazier home.  Soon one could reach Andrew Chapel, a Methodist Church, and not far away was a school taught by Prof. Williams, patronized by the Myhand, Scarborough, Ferrell, and other families over in Russell County.

Today as one views the shell of the deserted old Key-Mitchell home it may not be amiss to reflect upon the stirring events there about a century and a half ago.  First were the native Indians of several tribes, principally Creeks.  Then came a few hardy white settlers, to the displeasure of the natives.  Some of the latter contended against the whites, so white militia companies were formed and some regulars were sent in.  Three forts were erected in Macon County, Bainbridge and Hull on the Federal Road, and Decatur a mile east of the present Milstead on the Western Railroad.

A noted tavern (the Kendall Lewis) once stood at Fort Bainbridge, and many noted travelers were entertained there.  Today it is difficult to realize that once there were 1,500 troops there in the troublous days.  An English traveler wrote that the tavern there was the best that he found anywhere in our nation.  The guests were varied indeed, back in those pioneer days.

Among others passing along there – on the old Indian trail which became the Federal Road – were the eccentric Methodist preacher, Lorenzo Dow, who preached the first Protestant sermon ever heard in Alabama in 1803, and his wife Peggy.  Along also came Aaron Burr, former vice-president of the United States, as a prisoner on the way to Richmond, Va., for trial.  Along came the celebrated Henry Clay; P. T. Bynum of Museum Thumb; Gen. LaFayette in 1825, Bib Sam Dale, and even Washington Irving – that prince of all American writers.

If ghosts could indeed revisit earthly scenes, what a multitude of them could be gathered once more around the most deserted site of Boromville, in Macon County!


Date of Publication                       Title

September 11, 1952 
                                 Backtrails Through History – Old Cotton Valley Historic Site

November 20, 1952                                  Our Yesterdays – County Has Historic Past

November 27, 1952                                   Our Yesterdays – Origin of Alabama Told

September 17, 1953                                  Glimpses of Yesterday – Tales of Old Creek Stand

November 19, 1953                                  Glimpses of Yesterday - Warrior Stand Anecdotes