The Creek Stand A.M.E. Zion Church was founded around 1895 by a group of trustees who were leaders in the freedman community.  It is located on Slim Road, just off Macon County Road 10. Oral history indicates that the church congregation held its earliest meetings in a brush arbor. Dr. James A. Ellison, a white setter and physician, donated land to the church trustees in 1893 and sold land to them in 1895.  It is said that the lumber used for construction of the original structure was taken from the demolition site of the Key (later Mitchell) mansion.  The existing structure was built in 1995.  Several of the original handmade pews are found in the sanctuary. During the infamous U.S. Public Health Service Syphilis Study, the church was used as a “round-up” location.  Nurse Rivers and other U.S. Public Health Service workers met with men in the community at the church to provide “treatment.”   Several study subjects are interred in the church cemetery which is adjacent to the existing building.   Mosaic Templars of America headstones are also found in the cemetery.

The cemetery was listed to the National Register of Historic Places in 2016 and the  Alabama Historic Cemetery Register in 2009.

CREEK STAND AME ZION CHURCH AND CEMETERY

Photos: Left -the original structure.  Right- historic cemetery marker erected May 2011.  Below - present structure built 1995.

COOPER CHAPEL AME ZION CHURCH AND CEMETERY

Photo above:  This circa 1950's photo is of a group of men posing in front of the Cooper Chapel Church.  The aprons worn by three of the men are part of the regalia worn by members of the Freemasons.  Photo is courtesy of Willie Pace.  Photo below- Cooper Chapel  - 5/17/2014..

The Cooper Chapel A.M.E. Zion Church is located in the Warrior Stand community on County Road 10.  It was founded in 1870, The present-day brick building was built in 1950. Cooper Chapel was among several locations in South Macon County that was used as a Syphilis Study round-up location. At the rear of the building is a cemetery containing newer graves.  The oldest graves are found about .a mile from the building in a cemetery that has two sections.  An unpaved road runs between the two sections.  The graves of white settlers are found on one side of the road and the graves of formerly enslaved and contemporary African Americans are found on the other side of the road. Syphilis Study subjects are interred there and there are several Mosaic Templars of America headstones found there.