The Antioch Missionary Baptist Church was founded in 1870.  The church sits on a rise at the end of a dirt access road that runs off Macon County Road 5 near Roba, Alabama.  When facing the church, woodlands are to the right and at the rear.  The historic cemetery is to the left. 

Mosaic Templars of America headstones are found in the cemetery. The front elevation of the current structure is reminiscent of the front elevations of the old Creek Stand AME Zion Church and the old Dawson Church, except that the building exterior is now renovated to brick rather than wood frame.   

 
The family of the Harlem Renaissance writer George Wylie Henderson, Jr. owned land adjacent to the church, according to a 1936 property ownership map of the area.  Given that fact, and that Henderson’s family probably attended the church, it is very possible that the camp meeting scene Henderson described in his first novel Ollie Miss, was based on camp meetings held at the Antioch Church: “The church was visible from the crest of a hill a quarter of a mile away…It was a squat, boxlike building with a mere runt of a steeple…The trees fringed hedgelike about it, forming a dappled, moonlit grove.”  (Excerpt from Ollie Miss, G.W Henderson, 1935, Frederick A. Stokes Company).

HISTORIC CHURCHES AND CEMETERIES 

THE BOROMVILLE AME ZION CHURCH AND CEMETERY

The Boromville Community was once known as Fort Bainbridge and was the site of the military fort of the same name.  The Key antebellum mansion was also located in this community as well as Lewis’s Tavern, the inn that was owned and operated by Captain Kendall Lewis, son-in-law of the Creek Indian chief Big Warrior. The Boromville community is named for Rev. Benjamin F. Borom, who was a white minister with substantial landholdings and a large number of enslaved persons.  The community is located at the junction of the Upper and Lower Boromville Roads and continues east to the Macon/Russell County line. The Boromville A.M.E. Zion church is located on Lower Boromville Road.  The age of the church is not known at this time.  However, the adjacent cemetery is historic.  A lifelong elderly local resident has stated that the grave sites within the cemetery extend into the woods.  This suggests long time use of the burial ground and the possibility of a of slave burial ground. Mosaic Templars of America headstones are found in the cemetery.

THE ANTIOCH MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH AND CEMETERY